Eating fish and seafood is very a very important part of a well-rounded Paleo lifestyle. Fish is among the healthiest foods on the planet – loaded with essential nutrients that we cannot produce ourselves, such as Vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. The health of your body and your mind relies on you to include an adequate amount of fish in your diet.
For that reason, I’ve been exploring a lot of new seafood recipes that would work for my budget and taste. Tilapia is a great option because it is very inexpensive. It’s a white fish with a very mild flavor, which is also a great factor for those of us with picky family members (ahem). Because of its mild flavor, tilapia lacks that “fishy” taste and goes well with almost any type of seasoning or side.
This particular recipe is one of my favorites because it captures the classic combination of lemon, herbs, garlic and the subtle flavor of the fish. Traditionally, it would also be made with butter, but I will be using ghee (clarified butter) instead, to make the dish Paleo-friendly. If you’re not using ghee, coconut oil would work well too!
This baked lemon herb tilapia recipe is super easy to make, which is why I love incorporating it in my weekly meal plans. I’m all about simple (but healthy!) dinners after a long work day. This takes about 20 minutes from start to finish: I make the sauce using ghee, fresh lemon juice, herbs and seasonings; then I pour it over the fillets in a baking pan, and bake for 15 minutes. Voila! That’s all it takes.
I hope you enjoy my lemon herb tilapia recipe! It’s 100% paleo, clean eating and Whole30 approved. Let me know how you like it!
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- salt&pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Melt the ghee in a small pan. Once hot, add garlic to the butter and sautee for a few minutes until garlic is golden.
- Add parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Sautee for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, stir, and turn off the heat.
- Place the tilapia fillets on a greased baking pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Pour the lemon-ghee sauce over the fillets.
- Bake for 15 minutes.